To Drink, or Not To Drink

Spring Break 2013, here's the rundown:


Oregon/Washington Border -- that's the mighty Columbia Rvr in the background


  • cold and rainy here
  • cold and rainy there (planned destination - Seaside Oregon)
  • kids bored and at each other's throats here
  • kids turn into magical creatures somewhere else (fingers crossed)

My Magical Creatures
So, off we headed, down the coast and highway 101 (some of the way).

We stayed in an itty bitty rental house on the coast. This is my first official "vacation rental by owner" experience and I can't say that I am 100% satisfied, but honestly, it was good enough. I kind of chuckle to compare the house I stayed in with those around me, I'll bet you can't find it in the picture:
Our estuary beach -- look very closely for the house
 
Anyway, we had a good time. The kids loved the close beach proximity. This beach isn't the ocean beach but an estuary beach. When the tide came in, the water went clear up to the bank. I love watching the tide. in fact, I think I could just sit and watch the ocean for hours and hours.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My Anne of Green Gables
 
But, what really got my kids talking and asking questions was this:
 
Befuddled, Perplexed, Kerflummoxed -- ha ha ha
 This was above our dining room table and we must have had the "drinking" discussion about 7 times, that is until they discovered an equally confusing sign across the room that said, "Please feel free to smoke - outside".
 
Lastly, just so I always remember that we tried to walk where Meriwhether Lewis walked:
 
 I say "try" because as with a few other endeavors (1 - crossing the estuary to get to the real ocean, and 2 - trying to build a fire with wet wood), we had to give up after about 20 minutes. The trail was so treacherous (for little girls - one of whom was wearing flip flops) and muddy. My son asked, "Mom, can we just come back here and do this hike while the girls are sleeping?"

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a realistic spring break with children. For me, long car-drives with children is equivalent to a naughty word. I avoid it all costs (for now).
    I do love Seaside! I am curious to hear about the vacation-rental-by-owner as we've talked about doing that.
    I'd like to hear how you explained those signs to your children!
    Moreso, I hope you were able to enjoy your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila - you are awesome. I had forgotten you've been to Seaside. Now I'll need to go back to your blog to see your pictures again. I'll email you about the VRBO pros and cons (from my perspective) and as for explaining those signs, I feel like it is de-ja-vu now that I've explained it so many times :-) Spring Break was nice and having children back into school is nice too.

    ReplyDelete