Onions and Vocal Cords

Every family has their oddities, or I should say every person. Two of mine are that I worry about things like "damaging your vocal cords" and that I had bunion surgery the summer before 9th grade.

Big deal right?

I spent a lot of money learning about vocal cords back in my readin' ritin' 'rithmetic days,  so I might as well train my children to be paranoid of injuring their vocal cords :-). I can't deny that I try to enforce good vocal habits (drink lotsa water, don't make crazy sounds that will strain your voice and my ears.

It wouldn't be unusual to hear this phrase in my house, "My vocal cords are hurting." I always get a good smile about that one. I wish I could post a cool picture of vocal folds on here.

You gotta admit, that is cool isn't it? I am fascinated by it. I am always wondering about birds and whether or not they have vocal cords. Anyway . . . I am pretty sure my child had a sore throat, not sore vocal cords.

The other oddity is those bunions of mine. Again, I will find a cool picture to illustrate.
Photo of bunion with inset X-ray image
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/picture-of-bunion

I inherited my bad bunions. But, I hold no disregard for the people before me. Honest, I don't. There is still a slight scar on my feet and my children like to inspect scars. So, they've heard my story many times (about having surgery and having to wear two gigantic boots and how my friend came and played "Easy Money" with me the entire summer when I was laid up).

So, the funny thing is that my youngest daughter will look at my dainty (ha ha) little feet and say, "Mom, are those your onions?"

What kind of odd things are you passing onto your children?

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome. Did you know I had bunion surgery too? Both feet, as well. I think it has escaped the kids' notice so far, though.

    We have a lot of weird/random medical terminology being passed on. Case in point: the "iliac crest" (top curve of the pelvis) tickle spot. Sometimes the kids will shout amidst giggles, "No Mom, NOT the iliac!" Also, Jacob talks quite often about going to his "hosipal" to see his patients. Sometimes he even does c-sections. I don't think he really knows what that means, but it sounds important! He does know that a baby is the result. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linnae - I didn't know this about you/your feet! I can't believe it. So sorry. When did you have surgery? I love your medical terminology indoctrination. That is just classic.

      Delete
    2. Summer after my junior year of high school. I had it done in Utah. Rather than a whole summer in the boots, though, the doctor told me to get up and walk around the room once a hour starting the 3rd day. I had these lovely flat "shoes" to wear over knee-high ace bandages for about 2 weeks, then I graduated to size 9 men's shoes.
      I still can't stand to have anyone touch my feet.

      Delete
    3. Whoa -- I wonder where I was that summer. Hmmm, oh - I was in Florida. That is why I wasn't around to play games with you when you were down and out. Your recovery sounds painful. I think mine was mostly fun. I probably got out of a lot of work that summer. The boots were pretty hot though.

      Delete