Rockin the Rain Boots

Is it June or January? Who knows? The skies are gray and I've been wearing long sleeves all week. Our furnace has been running.

I do not like a rainy day,
the road is wet, the skies are gray.
They dress me up, from head to toes,
In lots and lots of rubber clothes.
I wish the sun would come and stay.
I do not like a rainy day.
                                   William Wise

However, on this particular rainy day, I couldn't help but chuckle, over and over at my strong-willed daughter during her group violin class.

Can you find her? Look for clown feet.
Before leaving the house, we had all kinds of drama regarding footwear. One daughter refused to wear her rain boots and the other refused to wear anything but rain boots and couldn't find her other boot. Then, as I was literally on the threshold, the loudest of the two started screaming that she wanted to actually wear her rain boots. We were late (of course) for scouts, so I picked her up and said "no way."

Unbeknownst to me, the other daughter pulled out my rain boots and came out to the car, just as quiet and sweet as usual. On the way to scouts, she cautiously asked me, "We aren't going straight to violin from scouts are we?" I said, "yup". Then, she proceeds to cry and try to convince me to go home because her violin friends will see her.

I said, "Nope". The house is not on my route, and especially not in the 6:00 hour. So, off to violin we go (I told her to just take them off at the door, and that no one would notice).
She even had to play a solo today.
The boots went past her knees and the teacher did all kinds of fancy footwork to keep the kids engaged. The three Moms beside me (just for interest sake - one of the three is American, like me, the other two are either Russian or European; just down the row from me was a family from India, I couldn't see their expressions so I don't know if they were getting their comic relief for the day, and the other two parents from across the room - one Asian and I have no idea of the other one's descent since this was the first time I've seen her) were just giggling as we all watched my girl stalwartly and unashamedly perform in class. I do have to hand it to her, I don't think she even blushed. If I could just have a pinch of that confidence. . .

3 comments:

  1. Wow,
    great story. Glad you paused to snap a pic!
    She looks cute in her clown feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the funniest thing ever. I love the pictures too. She doesnt even seem phased by it! I was with you when you bought those boots, by the way! Great story, you definitely made me smile (and laugh) this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA That is awesome! I love it. She is totally rockin the rain boots. She looks like a little stud up there in front of the rest of the kids, with her own little attitude. I've got one like that. I'm just waiting for the day when she gets embarrassed by her own choices instead of me being embarrassed by them. :)

    ReplyDelete