Mary Poppins

I don't think I ever watched Mary Poppins as a child and it is a shame. Really, the show is a lot of fun with positive music and a good moral at the end of the story that I love to remind my children: "you kids are best off with your mom and dad, not a nanny." That may be kind of a scare tactic given my parenting skills, but manipulative or not, I will keep reminding them :-).

The part in the show where the kids visit the man who laughs uncontrollably is so funny. My favorite part is when they sing about the different types of laughs. My childhood friend Karen and I use to imitate laughs, it is a very fun activity :-). I can instantly picture Karen laughing. We would both look up at the ceiling laughing so hard no sound would come out. Hilarious.

I Love to Laugh


My kids and I read the book and the real Mary Poppins isn't nearly as sweet and way more vain than even the movie portrayal. I found myself genuinely missing the musical score as I read along with my kids. This is one book I wouldn't recommend - watch the movie instead. Besides that, I just really like Dick Van Dyke :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment