Church-related humor

My son is almost twelve years old. We had a discussion the other day about what happens when a young man turns twelve who is active in our church, which is that he will be given the priesthood and be able to join a peer group from church called, "deacons". This is fairly familiar to him as he watches the deacons every week, administering the sacrament at church and now his closest friends are turning twelve.

I haven't talked with him much about the girls his age, meaning what groups they join upon turning twelve. So, the other day, I mentioned his friends would be joining the "beehives" church. His reaction was very funny. His eyes got big as he quickly answered, "Why beehives? Is it because they sting you and buzz in your ears?"

I've not considered this angle of the group named, "beehives" at church. In fifth grade, he observed the girls were very bossy, in fact once he said, "I don't ever want to marry one of those pesky girls." Now in sixth grade, he is having more of a mixed experience where he does still see some "won't even consider my input" girls but he has also mentioned that the girls are actually kind of nice :-).

The other "church" funny I want to remember is from the day we visited Grandma's ward in Idaho Falls. The song that was sung partway through the meeting was, "Master the Tempest is Raging" which I quite like. It talks about how Jesus Christ can both calm the literal storms of life and the figurative storms in our lives. When I mentioned that I really liked this song,  he replied, "So, did you sing this at your wedding?" 

Can you imagine? I hope Darren didn't think of that day as a raging tempest -- hee hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment