Over Labor Day Weekend (note I said over the weekend, we didn't actually go ON Labor Day which was kind of an issue for my children - who insisted they needed something to write about the next day for the first day of school. You know, the "What did you do over summer break question?" Never mind all of the travel and fun we'd had all summer, what really counts is the day before school starts.), my children and I traveled westward to the Washington coast.
I didn't tell the kids where we were going, I didn't tell them how long we'd be gone. I wanted to be flexible and kind of "fly by the seat of my pants" on that last weekend before school was to start.
We headed to the ferry,
![]() |
| Guess you can't tell, but this really is a ferry. Our car is underneath |
We went clear over to Forks Washington, a small town the size of the nearby "city" where I grew up. We swam until 9 or 10 pm, that night. The next morning, after having a nice conversation with a cashier at the only grocery store in town, we headed over to the coast - La Push. I loved this part of the drive because there were signs all over (big, homemade kind of signs - none of that neon, flashy stuff in the city) talking about werewolves and references to the hit story series set in Forks, "Twilight".
| Love the Beautiful Ocean |
| You can just feel the sand in your toes right? |
Heading back toward home, we stopped for ice cream at Lake Crescent and again determined we must go back there. Since I had already paid the National Park Fee (Sol Duc Hot Springs - had to pay to enter forest, but found out the resort was full, so I didn't even stay there), I headed on up to Hurricane Ridge - the top of the Olympic Mountains. What a windy road to get there, but wow was it worth it.
![]() |
| Catching the Wildlife on our Sunrise Point Hike |
![]() |
| You can see the road way down there can't you? Seriously high up |
![]() |
| Hurricane Ridge -- Visitors Center View |
![]() |
| I may be smiling, but I was scared to death |

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment