Olympics - Can we do it? Yes, we can!

Every family reunion, my brother Don comes out with the best sayings. So far, this year my kids just keep singing: "My Solo Cup will fill you up, let's have a party" or they'll say, "Mom, can we do it -- YES WE CAN!!".

Just for fun's sake, I'll post ther years' sayings from him:

"Rise and Shine, it's a brand new day."
"We're going to clean up this whole pit area."
"Who's your favorite uncle/brother?"
Feel free to add more . . .

This year is an Olympic year, which is fun and exciting. I become glued to the television and all of the sporting events, I especially love track and field and gymnastics and swimming and  . . .

Years ago, I babysat a family with active boys. One summer day, we had the idea to do track events, so we set up hurdles and planned races around their house. It was loads of fun. Fast forward about 25 years, and here I am doing the same thing with my kids. Every Monday evening, I've been in charge of our "Family Home Evening" activity. So, each Monday I've come up with a sort of track and field event.
Kids competed individually, this one show the celebratory race afterward

Shot Put: Used a weighted therapy ball
Discus: Duct-taped a bean bag to a frisbee
High Jump: On the trampoline and with a piece of paper in their hand, they taped a piece to the highest point (they could jump) of our trampoline cage
Hurdles: Obstacles included two kitchen stools and two Home Depot Buckets, and a little jaunt around the yard
Parade of Athletes :-)


The rest of the Family Olympics to be continued. . .

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! You are such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie -- I feel pretty good about my "mothering" 15 minute stint on Monday evenings right now. Ha ha -- the rest of the 24 hours in each day could use some work.

    ReplyDelete