Summer is over, not according to the weather, but according to the school calendar. Like most years, I feel like I haven't eaten enough watermelon. It just went by so fast and now the schedule is back and the kids are gone - all gone. I am struck by the trust I have in "school". I've been taking care of these kids
night and day,
three meals a day,
plus entertainment all summer long and now "school" thinks I will just pass the baton?
 |
| Clueless about "what lies ahead" |
This summer I think we almost went through a container of sunscreen and that really is a first. I lost my sunglasses paddle boarding in Lake Sammamish (when my youngest was riding with me and pulled on me from behind too hard, we toppled over, my sunglasses sunk to the depths of the weedy water). My swimsuit officially wore itself out (swim skirt literally won't stay up - no elasticity, isn't that a pretty sight?). We row boated right up to a group of nudists on Lake Washington. (!!!! yikes !!!) I jumped into Lake Washington, from a dock - with glee :-) (the twelve year old girls nearby wanted to join me for my second jump, see - I really am fun).
My child went on his first overnight camp. He was a changed man when he came back, so grateful for my help in packing and ever grateful for my food. I asked him how the sailing adventure was and his response was as follows: "It was fun, but sleeping was a disaster."
My new nephew was born - that is big news. I had fun helping the kids guess his name. See, we did do some learning (just a little bit).
 |
| Aunt Tawna had a baby :-) |
One Saturday, a lemonade stand was in order. The girls planned it out and prepared the product. Thanks to Daddy Darren coming along with a handful of kids and some loose change, the lemonade stand was a success.
We had a few birthdays - three in fact.
.jpg) |
| The layering effect was not intended by the store clerks . .this one cracks me up |
.JPG) |
| a photo of a picture :-) of Professor McGonagol |
One of the most fun parts of the summer was the month we read Harry Potter: The Sorcerer's Stone . We did it over about a month and we were all excited each day for reading time. We actually read about Harry Potter's birthday on the actual day - July 31st, isn't that great?
 |
| That red skirt goes WAYYYY back |
There was lots of acting. Lots. I think this picture was a play called, "The Great Depression" (thanks to American Doll stories, my oldest daughter has taken great interest in history). The kids did an acting camp down at Marymoor Park. Wouldn't you know it, my son was the only boy in the class and he got to be the prince in "Snow White". My daughter was a dwarf called, "Winky". She winked the entire play. It might have been nice for me to remember her character's name instead of wondering what she was doing with her eye during the performance . . .
.jpg) |
| Love that rope swing |
Seeing the kids just be kids is my favorite part about summer. Watching a child jump gleefully into a pool, going barefoot, sleeping on the trampoline, getting a library card (to quote my child, "This is like Christmas"), and swinging on a rope swing is what summer is all about.
 |
| My nephews' feet - this just shouts "joy" |
The baton has been handed off, and truly, I feel such gratitude for living in a place where my kids can go and learn and have fun and make friends and be safe. I love teachers - thank you teachers. It seems patriotic to me. God bless America. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment