I'm usually pretty happy to make it to church on time and dressed, although there are times the kids' choices in clothing aren't super coordinated (how many times does a child need to be told white socks do not go with navy blue dress pants). I carry my own three bags and expect my children to carry what they need (I know "need" is pretty subjective, but just know the kids usually just bring their scriptures and a notebook).
This last Sunday, I needed to be at church early enough to practice a song with a small group. We actually, miraculously made it at the appointed time. The girls' hair wasn't done, but they were all dressed (I did the girls' hair in the restroom at about three minutes to the meeting start time).
I'm leading up to a good story, I promise.
During the meeting, I noticed my youngest coloring a picture. She pulled each crayon out of her slipper.
And, why not -- really? A girl needs her crayons and there could be nothing better than carrying them in a house slipper. So, we took slippers to church and crayons and a hairbrush, pretty much the kitchen sink :-) I'm sure you can relate.
The person in front of me turned around and looked at my girl, then the slipper, and then at me. I just shrugged my shoulder and muttered "Girls" or something like that.
When the final "Amen" was said to the first (of three) meeting, my children tore off leaving me to the crayon-carrying slipper. My bags were too full to fit the slipper, so I just got to tote it around for the rest of the meetings. No one asked me about the slipper, but I received many strange looks.
At least everyone in my family was dressed for church today. . .

No comments:
Post a Comment