Dad and his boots

This picture has to make you smile:


Not only do I love the people in the picture (my dad and his dad), I mean, just look at Grandpa's smile. He is content. I love it. Dearly.

This was taken July 4th, 1969 so my dad was  married and really getting into responsibilities of life. He probably had one or two kids (my family members can verify) thus his more somber expression (I also learn he never really had a tendency to smile in pictures).

Later, while jogging, I figured out that my oldest brother was born in 1969, July of 1969 in fact. So, my dad's serious expression might be due to the fact that his wife was ready to pop down below. He must have been worrying about her :-).

Ha ha -- do you like how I am putting my own spin on it? I will have to ask my dad about this picture, but in the meantime it is his boots that made me smile. He's wearing those big work boots. Those boots will be a part of my dad's legacy for sure. He always wears those type of boots to do his outside work: gardening, mowing, pipe-moving. Those are the big boots that showed me how to plant corn and potatoes (don't "cut and cover"). Those are the boots that I pictured stomping a hole through our living room floor when the Boston Red Sox lost a game, and finally those are the boots that I would see my dad lace up, all the way to the top to go on motorcycle rides or hunting.

And Grandpa Fuller can just keep smiling - he probably wore the same thing :-).

Another editor's update - my oldest brother was born before 1969, it was my second oldest brother who was born in 1969, and his birthday is August, so my mom was hugely pregnant and wrangling a toddler down below.

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome picture! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelsey, don't you just love old-time pictures? The smile on my grandpa's face is priceless and I'm glad my dad is still here to ask about this picture further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Colette, love love love this!
    First, where r the safety restraints?? This pic is instant heart happy. Grandpa's smile, I love!
    Dad does look worried. 8 kids? That's a lot to worry abt. Maybe he was receiving a revelation!
    Those boots: I will always remember them, jumping boot print to boot print when following him in the snow.
    When he would lace those up, I knew we were all headed out to work and whistle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I liked that "instant heart happy" that is how I felt when I got the picture. Dad wasn't worrying about 8 kids just yet. We will all remember the "lacing up" aspect of these boots just as much as anything. I think I must have watched him lace up those boots hundreds of time (always wondering why he would want to wear boots that required so much effort to put on). Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Is that levis on your Dad?? I don't think I have ever seen him wear anything but dress pants! Or should I say pant not pants?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tawna, your comment cracks me up b/c the Dad I know and love always wore jeans on the weekends. It has only been recently (since I've been married for sure) he has made the switch to a dress "pant" all the time (I'm pretty sure I know his reasoning). Anyway, the pair of levis was a wonder to me. I'm not kidding. My sisters will probably attest. I am not sure how often they were laundered and when they were, I think they took up the whole washing machine, so heavy and long. Anyway, thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete