Bloody Nose

I just posted this whole story on facebook, but today it strikes me as really funny and I keep giggling about my children, so I will post it on here for long-term use/keepsake.

Last night, my girls were examining a new Christmas toy of my 7 year-old (that just arrived yesterday -- this will be the last time I count on Amazon.com for prompt delivery at Christmas-time, this took easily ten days and I just can't endure that kind of customer service in this day and age -- ha ha, what a brat I've become). The 7 yo was taking possession of said toy (a pogo ball -- remember how fun those were? Back in "my" day, we use to rub skin off the insides of our feet from jumping with pogo balls so much)

Anyway, I left the room when they were simply arguing, but as can be predicted, things escalated immediately and I heard the 7 yo shrieking - the kind of cry that let me know she was actually hurt.

I ran to her rescue and spent the next 20 minutes or so stopping the bloody nose, cleaning up after bloody nose, and wishing I had put the kids to be an hour ago.

I told the 4 year old that she was to go to bed now and that she'd get her punishment tomorrow (I also told the 7 yo, she would be deciding the punishment - with my help, heh heh).

Fast forward to today, I put this on facebook and got a bunch of responses:
 
 
Last night 4 yo socked 7 yo in nose, I deferred punishment while cleaning/stopping blood -- punishment still deferred, how would YOU handle this?
 
  • K.L. : Have 4 year old do something nice for 7 year old, draw picture or "write" essay about how the wont do it next time. My older kids have to copy and memorize an apt scripture
 
  • C.B.: An essay, of course! Ours always were required to write an essay on the virtue, with three properly cited sources, introduction, thesis statement, transition sentences and a conclusion. It became more difficult the older they got (we would edit and they would re-write until it was properly written). No privileges until it was completed.
 
  • M.T. (my older sister who I may or may not have wanted to sock in the nose a few times myself): Revenge!!
 
  • A.B. (C.B.'s youngest daughter): Mom, she is four years old, she cannot write an essay! I would say privilege revoked, the threat of that one always worked for me. Don't let her watch TV while the other kids get to, or have a day at the zoo that she isn't allowed to attend...something like that!
 
  • C.K: I'm surprised to hear my writing-based consequence is used by others too. I thought I was surely funding future therapists' yachts!
    I started a "sorry book" last year. Spiral-bound, they write a sorry note to their sibling(s) on the next blank page. This was partly because I knew it would be hilarious to go back and read them, and it is. Another method I use sometimes is the offender has to be the hurt-sibling's maid or butler (for boys) for a set amount of time (30 minutes, 1 hour, half a day, etc.). Doing their chores, etc. etc. Got this idea from Seinfeld where the judge sentences a guy in a car accident with Jerry to be Jerry's butler. I like the structured essay idea!
 
  • K.B: Why did the 4-year-old punch the 7-year-old? Before issuing punishment I'd find out the reason - it's possible that both are going to be doing extra chores. Lots of times at my house, I find that the older ones are the ones that start the fight, but the younger ones are the first to hit. Good luck!
 
  • J.B.: True K.B. what did the 7yo do is the 1st question
 
  • Me: Thanks for the help -- I think 4 yo will especially appreciate A.B stepping in as a mediator C.B., I love your essay suggestions and have been trying a less-cruel version of it with the older kids, although good grief - your kids must be expert writers with all of your requirements -- Alivia, you didn't ever have to write an essay for bad behavior did you? Cailean, I love your idea of a sorry book, definitely going to have to try that; in the end I decided to have Callie be my 7 yo's maid for four days since she is four years old. The "maid" concept went over very well with the 7 yo
 
  • Me: Oh, and to answer Kelly and Jeff's question -- I was out of the room so the story I got was that ( I know they were fighting over 7 yo's toy) Callie hit 7 yo in the back and somehow blood came out her nose
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment