I don't think the experiences forthcoming are funny now, but since I related them to my friend, who was literally laughing her head off, I guess I'll record them here and maybe get a smile in something like fifteen years when and if my children are able to venture off into the scary world of parenting. Wait, did I say fifteen?
As we frantically walk out the door, she changes her mind and starts crying that she wants to come. I firmly said "No, you don't have any pants on. Stay here with Dad."
Two kids and I left. We enjoyed a nice stroll through the Enchanted Forest and walked on up to school. I even had time to chat with some of the parents while waiting in line for my son's class.
Well, one of his classmate's mother, Cindy, who also happens to live on the path to school rushes up to me and says, "Did you know your daughter is walking by herself past my house?" To which I reply, "What is she wearing?" Cindy then tells me that another neighbor (I will give him a name too since he occurs in my 2nd story), Gary, is walking with her and that a number of parents have reported her to the school. I take off running back towards home. I find her walking with Gary. He was gently talking with her and being kind (by the way, he is always either late for school or 30 seconds away from tardy). I hugged her and we began the journey home. Apparently, she had made it about three blocks by herself till Gary started walking with her. and she was fully dressed in her pajamas, so at least she had the frame of mind to dress herself. She may or may not have had on underwear.
Later that day, I got a call from the school telling me how a number of parents had reported a little girl walking alone to school and that this wasn't the first time (?!!!). I listened to this message on my phone and thought it best for me to find a cave somewhere to hide till my kids turn 20. I did call and sort out some details. She hasn't actually walked to school by herself before.
Story #2 - the next week
The Saga Continues...
This past week, I get a phonecall on Tuesday from the school (insert rock in stomach) saying, "Your son is here and doesn't know how he is supposed to go home today." OK, this is getting ridiculous. We went through all of this before school. I can spare my few blog readers all the details. Suffice it to say, I explained what he should do, sat back down and not five minutes later, I get another call from the school saying, "Your daughter is on the bridge looking very confused. So, we are sending the principal out to bring her back up to the school."
You see, even writing all of this is giving me a rash....
Tuesdays are my busiest days where I have the tightest after-school schedule. I rushed up to school, retrieved my daughter, didn't ever see my son on his bike, but turned around and started heading back home wondering when social services would be showing up at my door. My son was at home. All is well.
Sort of.
This is a new week, I'm pretty nervous.
are you more nervous Gary will be saving your kids from the lady with dogs? Or, perhaps more nervous you will be kicked off any school volunteering list because your kids get "lost?"
ReplyDeleteI will send positive thoughts to the school secretary! And principal. And gary and most of all you!
i am just laughing and laughing...it's nice to know that other moms have these experiences.
ReplyDeleteI know these types of things will be coming my way soon, and you'll be able to laugh at me.
I'm glad your little one did put some clothes on...it's even better that your husband had no idea any of this had taken place while he was home.
Ok, just reading this story is making me feel rashy. Aack! Awkwardness! My mom always said, "Better laugh than cry," although that's easier said than done sometimes. What about laughing through gritted teeth? Does that count? :)
ReplyDelete